The City-state of Hong Kong, without a doubt, is one of the most happening places in the world. Right from cutting-edge technology, mind-blowing infrastructure to the highest level of skilled migrant manpower – the Special Administrative Region (SAR) of China has it all and more.
It has launched the Hong Kong Quality Migrant Admission Scheme (HKQMAS) to draw the exceedingly trained or talented people who are fresh entrants not having the right to enter and remain in the region to settle there in with a view to boost the place’s economic attractiveness in the international market, and continue the label of being a major financial hub in Asia.
The QMAS is basically a quota-based entrant plan meant for the trained people who want to reside in the City-state to discover either work or business startup prospects.
Successful candidates under the Scheme can usher-in their partner and single dependent kids under the age of 18 to the SAR, if they can support and house their dependents using their own financial resources, minus depending on the public aid in the SAR.
The procedure of filing for the Hong Kong Quality Migrant Admission Scheme is not rocket science. The same necessitates you to appear for any one of the two point based tests – General Points Test or Achievement Based Points Test. The said tests guarantee that you fulfill the different eligibility requirements, like the age, education, language, experience, and character, not to mention financial resources.
After you successfully sail through the test, and get the needed score, visa petition may be submitted to the Hong Kong Immigration Department. The petition goes through the selection procedure carried out by the department even while the results are given on the official website, and a report is sent across to you subsequently. In case your petition makes the cut, you will get an approval-in-principle, duly followed by the issuance of Visa/entry Permit.
Hong Kong Quality Migrant Admission Scheme Eligibility Requirements
Overseas nationals–barring the nationals of Afghanistan, Albania, Cambodia, Cuba, Laos, Korea, Nepal and Vietnam–have the eligibility to present a petition for the Scheme.
You must fulfill all of these pre-requisites:
- Your age must be 18 years or above at the time of submitting the petition.
- You must be in a position to validate that you have the capability to support and lodge not only yourself but your dependents using your personal financial resources, minus depending on the public help in the SAR.
- You must have a 100% clean background, and there must not be any criminal charges or other such charges slapped against you that are damaging to you either in Hong Kong or in another place.
- You must be rather expert (both spoken & written) either in the Chinese language (Putonghua or Cantonese) or English.
- You must have a satisfactory educational background. Usually, it is preferable to have an undergraduate degree from a renowned university or a tertiary educational establishment. This does not mean that under special situations, in the absence of such a degree, documentary proof of reasonably good technical qualifications, appropriate professional abilities, achievements and experience you will not be considered.
- You must also sail through either of the point based tests – General Points Test or Achievement-based Points Test. Under the former, there are five point-scoring factors concerning age, academic/professional qualifications, employment experience, language know-how and family background. The bare minimum passing mark is 80 out of a maximum of 165 points up-for-grabs. The latter, namely, the Achievement-based Points Test, is meant for those having exceptional ability or expertise. Such people must have excellent achievements. There is just a one point-scoring factor of 165 points under this test, and it will be given in case you have obtained an award of outstanding achievement (for example, Nobel prize, Olympic medals, national/international awards); or you may illustrate that your work has been duly recognized by your peers, or has contributed pretty remarkably to the growth and progress of your chosen domain (lifetime achievement award from the industry, for example).
Summary: Check the page and fish-out relevant information on the well-known and extensively used Hong Kong Quality Migrant Admission Scheme.