Are you looking for a smooth Australian airport procedure for your first visit in Australia? Well, check the information below for better understanding
Flying to Australia is always one’s long cherished dream and moving as an Australian PR is purely icing on cake. While moving to Australia, you will be welcomed at Airport with certain standard procedure validating your Australian Permanent Residency. Below are procedures to keep in mind:
How to clear Customs Procedure
- Upon landing in the airport, you will be directed to the immigration desk for the customs check. The immigration officer will inspect the following documents:
√ Original Passport
√ Valid Visa (print out of Electronic Visa)
√ Completed and signed Incoming Passenger Card (IPC) which will be given on the plane
Note: If you do not receive the IPC from the flight crew, ask for one before you arrive at the customs desks.
- Upon confirming your identity and authority to arrive Australia, the clearance officer will formally grant your entry into Australia. Subsequently, Australian Border Force officers perform immigration clearance processing at Australian airports.
- In few cases, you might be formally interviewed by the Immigration Officers at the airport to validate information about your immigration status which may be recorded for reference.
Note: If you do not meet the immigration clearance requirements, you may be refused to enter Australia and removed immediately.
What to bring along in Australia
- There is no limitation for the amount of currency you can bring in Australia but you must declare amounts of AUD 10,000 or more in Australian currency or foreign equivalent.
- If you are carrying any prohibited foods, plant or animal products to Australia, then you must declare them by ticking ‘YES’ on the Incoming Passenger Card (IPC).
- You must declare medicines which might be subject to misuse or abuse. On the contrary, you do not need to declare medications such as aspirin, paracetamol or Australian over the counter medications.
How to Proceed for Luggage collection
- After you ‘clear customs’, then it would be the right time to collect your checked luggage from the carousel.
- While you are waiting for your bags, you might be quickly interviewed by an Australian Customs and Border Protection Service officer and/or a dog might sniff your luggage for drugs or prohibited items.
Prepare for Quarantine check
- Once you collect your bags, you then will have to go through a quarantine check for your bags.
- An Australian Customs and Border Protection Service officer will ask your IPC again for further verifications, then the officer will decide if you can exit straight through, get your bags x-rayed, or have your bags opened and inspected.
Arrivals Hall and the Final Step
- Once you succeed the quarantine, you will exit to the airport arrivals hall. This is the place where you can exchange your money, use ATMs, hire a car, and book accommodation
- If you are intending to travel to another Australian destination, then the staff at the information desk will assist you with transferring to a domestic terminal